Call for Applications for
Regional Conference Coordinators of the International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS), for the organisation of the 2019 IAPSS Regional Conference in Stockholm, Sweden.
Theme of the conference: Paths towards Climate Justice
Deadline for Application Submissions: 13th of July 2019 (23:59 CEST)
Are you passionate about event management? Dedicated to work on event management innovations and new conference formats? Interested in a topic of sustainability, environment and climate change? Keen on working with like-minded people and providing a platform for debating climate justice? Then you should apply to be coordinator in the next Regional Conference team!
The International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) – the largest international organisation representing students of political science and related disciplines worldwide – offers unique opportunities for students and junior researchers to grow professionally and personally in a global network. We are launching a Call for five Coordinators tasked with the organisation of the 2019 Regional Conference in Sweden together with the already elected Head of the Regional Conference (HoRC).
The Regional Conference will take place in Sweden between 22nd and 25th of November 2019, on the theme Paths towards Climate Justice. The event will be conducted in partnership with the Stockholm Association of International Affairs (SAIA/UF Stockholm) and the Stockholm University.
We are looking for candidates for the following positions:
- Deputy Head of the Regional Conference;
- Administration Coordinator;
- Panels Coordinator;
- Speakers Coordinator;
- Sponsorship and Media Coordinator.
Deputy Head of the Regional Conference
The Deputy Head is responsible for assisting the Head of Regional Conference in all logistical matters and is cooperating closely with the Stockholm Association of International Affairs. Tasks include:
- overseeing the venue(s) management of the Regional Conference 2019;
- drafting and implementing the social program;
- overseeing the implementation of event management innovations (digitalisation, new formats);
- supervising a team of volunteers that will assist prior to and during the conference;
- arranging and managing all other logistical aspects (e.g. accommodation, catering, and printing) prior to and during the conference.
Candidates based in the city of the venue and having a good knowledge of the city will be considered first. Prior experience in event management is an asset.
The Administration Coordinator is in charge of various tasks, including:
- sending invitations for the conference to political science departments;
- preparing newsletters and other communications for the participants;
- monitoring all registrations and payments;
- implementing innovations such as digitalisation of conference (eg. mobile app);
- replying to inquiries as well as visa requirements from participants and interested students;
- supervising the on-site management.
Previous experience with program management is highly desirable. Knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp is not required, although appreciated.
The Panels Coordinator is primarily in charge of the administration of the student panels, and cooperates closely with the IAPSS Academic Coordinator. The responsibilities include:
- creating and managing various submission platforms – abstract, papers, travel grants, and chair/discussant applications;
- replying to inquiries from paper presenters, chairs and discussants;
- preparing communications and documentation for panelists;
- finalising the student panels together with the IAPSS Academic Committee;
- supervising the on-site management of the student panels and facilitating debates.
Knowledge of WordPress and Mailchimp is not required, although appreciated. Previous experience of an academic conference (attending/organising) is desirable. Experience with facilitating debates and moderating panels is not required, although appreciated.
The Speakers Coordinator is responsible for the conceptualisation, including:
- drafting the speakers (individuals, NGOs) program including lists of potential speakers;
- contacting and securing the presence of speakers and representatives of NGOs;
- communicating regularly with booked speakers, and arranging logistical matters (e.g. travel and accommodation details, meetings, presentation slides).
- supervising the on-site management of the panels and moderating debates.
Previous experience with program management is highly desirable. Experience with facilitating debates and moderating panels is not required, although appreciated.
Sponsorship and Media Coordinator
The Sponsorship and Media Coordinator is in charge of the social media marketing of the conference, and is working towards the increase of the financial capabilities of the event, by securing either sponsorships or services. He/she will work closely with the Public Relations (PR) Department. Tasks include:
- drafting and implementing the social media communication strategies;
- helping to update and improve the Conference page on the IAPSS website;
- designing and adapting the printed materials of the Conference, such as but not limited to guidebook, certificates, and badges based on existing templates;
- creating and managing sponsorship and advertisement packages;
- mapping and securing potential sponsors – international, national and local.
Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and/or InDesign, or willingness to learn independently, is appreciated.
Requirements for all positions
Furthermore, all position-holders have common requirements, such as:
- participating in weekly Skype meetings with the Head of Conference;
- to be available and present in Sweden between the 21st and 25th of November 2018, in order to attend the Regional Conference and fulfill on-spot tasks;
- readiness to devote approximately 10 hours per week to the execution of the various tasks that come together with the positions;
- excellent command of the English language (spoken and written) and strong communication skills
- a high degree of mutual responsibility, motivation, self-initiative and dedication, combined with reliability and flexibility with regard to the work in a highly international environment with a strong intercultural competence;
- current or recent enrollment in a political science or related programme (of any educational level including undergraduate, graduate studies, or PhD position).
It is beneficial if candidates have:
- experience with organising events and/or conferences;
- attended IAPSS events in the past.
- You must be a member of IAPSS during the time you hold the position.
- You are a volunteer! This is no paid position.
- Costs related to the execution of the position (e.g. public transport) during the conference are covered by the IAPSS (budget allowing).
- Candidates based in Stockholm or close to the venue during the conference will be prioritized.
- Developing the conference from a draft to the execution;
- Training and professional development by experienced volunteers;
- Exposure to high-level multinational organisations and institutions;
- Access to an extensive alumni network that can fire up your career in political science and related professional fields;
- A volunteering certificate;
- A truly flexible and self-organizing work environment with colleagues worldwide.
Do you see yourself in any of the positions above? Even if you don’t match the description in every aspect, we would be happy if you get in touch with us. We are looking for forward-thinking people that are driven by making an impact and believe that everybody can do that!
If you have any questions, please drop a message to your future colleague Veronika Kandusova via E-Mail.
All applicants will be notified within 7 working days. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a Skype interview.
On behalf of the IAPSS Executive Committee,
Head of Regional Conference
International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS)
Postbox 9108 | 6500HK Nijmegen | The Netherlands
email@example.com | +420 737 567 951