Call for Candidates
the IAPSS Executive Committee (ExCom)
and the IAPSS Supervisory Committee (SupCom)
for the legislative term of 2019 – 2020
Deadline for Applications: Monday, 15 April 2019, 23:59 CEST (UTC +2, Berlin)
The 29th IAPSS General Assembly will hold its regular Executive Committee and Supervisory Committee elections online and a related discussion in Zagreb on 25th and 26th of April 2019.
Based on the experiences of the legislative mandate of 2018 – 2019 and the years before, the Executive Committee suggests the following board structure. The focus lies on an Executive Committee comprising seven members while associated IAPSS Coordinators (including Editors-in-Chief of IAPSS Publications) work closely together with elected ExCom members in order to share and reduce workload related to the portfolio of the Association. IAPSS Coordinators (not elected, but appointed by the ExCom) are directly related and responsible to the respective ExCom member, while the IAPSS President holds responsibility for the overall communication and coordination with all members of the ExCom, IAPSS Coordinators and the Supervisory Committee as well as external partners and other institutions.
The following ExCom structure is amendable and to be voted upon as a whole before the voting. Please note that ExCom and SupCom positions are only available for individual members (at the time of election) and that simultaneous membership of both boards is not possible.
A) Application Procedure & Requirements
Deadline for Applications: Monday, 15 April 2019, 23:59 CEST (UTC +2, Berlin)
Required Documentation for Application:
(1) A resume including reference to a) your studies, b) your academic and/or professional experiences relevant for the applied position, c) your overall academic experiences, d) your language skills, e) your personal data, and f) personal references (optional).
(2) A cover letter of 1-2 pages stating a) your personal motivation for applying for the chosen position, b) a detailed description of at least two experiences relevant for the applied position, c) the integration of the applied position into your daily life, d) your previous experiences within IAPSS (if applicable).
(3) A one-page document stating your proposed personal agenda and priorities for the applied position for the legislative mandate 2019-2020.
(*) All documents should be sent as .pdf files to email@example.com before the deadline.
Duration of Mandate: June 1, 2019 – May 31, 2020.
(1) Applications submitted later than 15 April 2019, 1 pm CEST, and incomplete applications will not be considered. All applications will be uploaded to the website (specific GA page) by 21 April, available to all individual, association, and honorary members of the Association.
(2) Application for the position of IAPSS President requires experience as member of the IAPSS ExCom or as IAPSS Coordinator.
(3) The President, the Secretary General and the Treasurer will become legal representatives of the Association by June 1st, 2020. All three holders will need to register with the Chamber of Commerce of the Netherlands and two of them (usually the President and Treasurer) with the banks IAPSS holds accounts at.
(4) All positions are unpaid.
(5) The vote will take place by online voting at the 29th IAPSS General Assembly.
B) Available Positions
I – Positions within the IAPSS Executive Committee
- Coordination and supervision of all portfolio components and tasks associated with the IAPSS Global Board;
- Management and supervision of internal communication within the ExCom (including bi-weekly online meetings, regular updates by ExCom members, online communication, agenda-setting) and with the SupCom on a regular basis
- Supervision of the IAPSS financial administration (including regular reporting to the SupCom and General Assembly, preliminary and final financial reports by the IAPSS Treasurer) and the annual budgeting process, in cooperation with the IAPSS Treasurer / Head of Financial Administration
- Framing of the annual agenda of the Association (including all IAPSS events, dates of IAPSS publications, deadlines in day-to-day working processes, ExCom in-person meetings, meetings with external partners et al.)
- Setting-up of agenda, content and organizational framework of IAPSS General Assemblies (incl. reporting procedures, agendas, resolutions, proposals, calls for applications, calls for candidates), in collaboration with the IAPSS Secretary General
- Set-up of the agenda, content and organizational framework of ExCom in-person meetings – Supervision of IAPSS conferences and all other event program schemes
- Representation, including opening and closing speeches and remarks on the occasion of major IAPSS and partner events
- Administration of the IAPSS Headquarters at Radboud University Nijmegen
- Legal representative in bi- and multilateral contracts and agreements
- Acting as a key contact person for partner institutions of the Association in cooperation with other departments with a particular responsibility in the legalisation process of partnerships.
- Management of the financial administration of the Association (incl. annual budgeting process, execution of all payments and expenses, control and administration of income), under the supervision of and in collaboration with the IAPSS President and the IAPSS Secretary-General
- Cordination of fundraising activities (incl. institutional grant applications, drafting processes of funding proposals at corporate bodies, their evaluation and related reporting)
- Control of membership payments of both individual and association members, in cooperation with the IAPSS Secretary General
- Supervision regarding the compliance of the IAPSS financial administration and related income and expenses with the IAPSS Financial Regulations
- Regular financial reporting to the IAPSS ExCom, biannual financial reporting to the IAPSS SupCom and the IAPSS General Assembly
- Assist with the coordination of the provision of travel grants to panelists at both the IAPSS World Congress and the IAPSS Convention, as well as other IAPSS events if so decided by the IAPSS ExCom
- Coordination of all tasks to be carried out and duties to be fulfilled regarding the bank accounts and payment facilities of the Association
- Coordination of IAPSS fundraising activities (incl. institutional grant applications, drafting processes of funding proposals at corporate bodies, their evaluation and related reporting), in cooperation with other departments;
3 Secretary General
- Administration of all membership related tasks (incl. maintenance of the online application facility, maintenance of the membership database, issuance of membership confirmations on request, administration of combined IAPSS-IPSA membership)
- Maintenance of the IAPSS membership network and membership communication (incl. regular information and updates to members as well as the first contact person for all administrative inquiries and questions by members and other individuals and associations)
- Execution of the preparations and the realization of the biannual IAPSS General Assemblies in cooperation with the IAPSS President
- Organization, administration and maintenance of the IAPSS ExCom’s internal documentation (board working platform, archive, minute-taking and protocols)
- Administration of the IAPSS Headquarters at Radboud University Nijmegen, in cooperation with the IAPSS President
- Administration and maintenance of the properties and facilities of the Association
- Maintenance of the IAPSS email domain, Google Drive, and all related online facilities (e.g. Slack) in collaboration with the IAPSS Website Coordinator
- Coordination and supervision of the IAPSS Website management (incl. content and structure management, management of the internal area MyIAPSS, the webstore, live and recorded reporting on IAPSS Events in collaboration with the Website Coordinator and other departments;
4 Vice President for Academic Affairs
- Coordination and supervision of all branches of the Academic Department (currently: POLITIKON, A Different View, Academic Think Tank, Student Research Committees, Encuentro Latinoamericano, Delegations), in cooperation with all involved departmental Coordinators (including Editors-in-Chief)
- Publication of Call for Papers/Call for Applications/Call for Editors for all operational branches of the Department (as mentioned above), in collaboration with the Department of Public Relations and related Coordinators
- Supervision of internal communication of all related bodies (Editorial Boards, Authorial Boards, Think Tank Working Group, SRCs) incl. online meetings, online communication, in-person meetings
- Quality management of IAPSS Publications and development of new publication formats and special issues of IAPSS Publications (e.g. for the IAPSS World Congress or other IAPSS events)
- Coordination and supervision of indexing processes of IAPSS journals, in cooperation with the respective Editors-in-Chief, and acting as technical contact for Crossref and providing DOIs for articles in IAPSS journals
- Upon request from other IAPSS Board members, especially the Vice President for Programs and Vice President for Regional Affairs, providing advice on improving the academic quality of IAPSS conferences and events, in particular the distribution of IAPSS scholarships and IAPSS travel grants to participants at the IAPSS World Congress, and the selection of the recipient of the IAPSS Academic Excellence Award at IAPSS conferences
- Coordination and supervision of academic questions/issues related to IAPSS Delegations to external events (incl. panel and section proposals, calls for and selection of submitted papers and respective panelists), in cooperation with the IAPSS Delegations Coordinator, as well as partnerships with academic associations, in cooperation with the IAPSS Delegations Coordinator and the Head of the Public Relations Department
- Supervision of academic questions/issues related to IAPSS Student Research Committees (incl. calls for and approval/rejection of SRC proposals and SRC membership, academic support to IAPSS SRCs, scheduling of SRC panels at IAPSS Events), in cooperation with the IAPSS SRC Coordinator
5 Vice President for Regional Affairs
- Developing, evaluating, and monitoring the implementation of IAPSS Regionalisation
- Setting-up of the agenda, content and organizational framework of Council of Regions meetings
- Monitoring, administrating, and approving candidates working in the regional teams of the IAPSS
- Operating as key person to streamline regional structures and processes, representing regional interests in the ExCom and linking the federal vision of IAPSS with the IAPSS Global Board
- Supporting the IAPSS Treasurer, the IAPSS Head of Programs with the coordination, supervision, agenda-setting and quality management of all IAPSS Events (incl. IAPSS Winter School, IAPSS Summer School, IAPSS Study Trips) incl. setting-up of academic and organizational framework, scheduling and financial administration and the respective realization of all IAPSS Events
- Coordination and supervision of regional conferences realized in collaboration with member associations or external partners (if any), in collaboration with the Head of the IAPSS World Congress and the Head of the IAPSS Convention
- Coordination and supervision of the regional direction and progress of each chapter
6 Vice President for Programs
- Supervision and monitoring of all event planning and implementation processes. These include among other areas the selection of and negotiation with host institutions, the arrangement of all venues, the travel and accommodation arrangements for speakers and the IAPSS team, the catering, transportation, technical facilities and equipment, social and cultural events and on-site volunteers
- Coordination and supervision of the set-up of the academic program of the events incl. the academic conceptualization of the events, the scheduling process, the coordination of and assistance to all speakers, student panels and their administration, special and events co-hosted by partners of IAPSS
- Coordinating and leading the selection process for all event applications, that include the IAPSS World Congress, IAPSS Regional Conferences, IAPSS Study Trips, and Schools.
- Coordinating all project proposals that are sent to the IAPSS ExCom
- Coordinating of the budgeting process for all events and the continuous financial administration of all income and expenses, the coordination of the provision of travel grants to student panelists, in collaboration with the IAPSS Treasurer and the IAPSS President
- Supporting the regional chairs to enhance their capacities to monitor and develop events in their region
- Evaluation of the events (incl. event surveys, data assessments) and related reporting to the ExCom, the SupCom, and the Council of Regions.
7 Vice President for Public Relations
- Coordination and supervision of all departmental Coordinators covering the areas of social media, outreach strategies, and design;
- Coordination and supervision of all design and PR-related components of the IAPSS Website,including layout and application of the IAPSS Corporate Design, and advertisement by external partners and institutions in collaboration with the Secretary General, the Website Coordinator and other departments;
- Coordination and supervision of IAPSS Social Media devices incl. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn (incl. strategy and content management, agenda-setting and quality management);
- Coordination and supervision of IAPSS internal and external content and corporate image;
- Coordination and supervision of IAPSS’ online representation (incl. entries at external association and event calendars);
- Coordination of IAPSS Advertisement (incl. proposals to and contracts with external advertisement partners, management of online and printed advertisement);
- Coordination and supervision of the designing and layout process of all IAPSS Publications (POLITIKON, Encuentro Latinoamericano, A Different View), IAPSS Event and Conference material, incl. booklets (for IAPSS World Congress, IAPSS Convention, IAPSS Conference in Latin America, IAPSS Seasonal Schools), all internal and external documentation (forms, documents, releases) and of the logos of IAPSS Conferences, in collaboration with Design Coordinator or an external graphic design company;
- Coordination and supervision of the publication of the “IAPSS News & Opportunities” and Special Newsletters;
- Coordination and supervision of the IAPSS Ambassadors Program;
- Press contact person (incl. press releases on IAPSS Events and Publications, coordination of interviews, media articles, permanent media cooperation);
- Coordination of external cooperation agreements except academic cooperation (incl. preparation and regulation of official cooperation contracts, negotiations on joint events; negotiations on joint advertisement/promotion; representation of ExCom (members) at events of international partners; access to external events for IAPSS board members as well as individual and association members), in cooperation with pertinent departments;
- Supervision and coordination of the on-site media team at IAPSS’ events, (incl. photographic documentation, live coverage in social media and recording selected sessions).
II – Positions within the IAPSS Supervisory Committee
9 – 11 Supervisory Committee (SupCom) – up to 3 Positions
- Supervision of the IAPSS ExCom regarding the compliance with the IAPSS legal framework (statutes, internal regulations, financial regulations) concerning all relevant organizational matters, portfolio components, working procedures, legal duties, the IAPSS headquarters and contracts with third parties
- Control of the IAPSS financial administration on a regular base, but at least biannually (incl. the possibility to question specific matters, e.g. income, expenses and financial documentation)
- Regular communication with the IAPSS President as well as IAPSS ExCom members and IAPSS
Coordinators on work progress and offer (in case needed) to assist in problematic issues
(if needed) Mediation between concerned ExCom members and Coordinators in case of internal conflicts
- Production of a preliminary and final report on the financial administration of the Association as well as SupCom activities to the biannual IAPSS General Assemblies